BCS Preliminary Preparation English Language Part- 01
A. Identify the correct parts of speech of the underline words:
Question : The doctor took the round in the hospital. Here ’round’ is a/an-
Answer : noun.
Question : She spends hours on internet-every day.
Answer : surfing
Question : Feminine gender of ‘wizard’ is-
Answer : witch.
Question : Some singular nouns basically look like plural:
Answer : such as acoustics, athletics, economics, news, measles, mumps, rickets etc.
Question : Some plural nouns look like singular, such as :
Answer : police, people, cattle, clergy, staff, poultry, vermin etc.
Question : __man is mortal is a universal truth.
Answer : That
Question : Farzana became__ within a short time.
Answer : familiar
Question : Right the wrong. Here ‘right’ is a/an-
Answer : verb.
Question : I made the machine
Answer : work
Question : Taka five lakhs-a good amount.
Answer : is
Question : It is high time we smoking-
Answer : gave up
Question : Three-fourths of the work-finished.
Answer : has been
Question : I prefer tea- coffee.
Answer : to
Question : Plural form of ‘half’ is-
Answer : halves.
B. Idioms and Phrases
- By and large- mostly
- Tooth and nail- with most effort
- Under the weather- sick
- Bon Voyage – wish a good trip
- She took what she needed. – Noun clause
- I know the man who did it.-Adjective clause
- You need not fear so long I am here. –Adverbial clause
Inc. : The doctor saw his pulse.
Cor. : The doctor felt his pulse.
Inc. : He gave me goodbye.
Cor. : He bade me goodbye.
Inc. : One should do his duty properly.
Cor. One should do one’s duty properly.
E. Transformation of Sentences
Compound : Study hard or fail.
Complex: If you do not study hard, you will fail.
Active: Who is helping her?
Passive: By whom is she being helped?
Superlative: The rose is one of the finest flowers.
Comparative: The rose is finer than most other flowers.
(i) One word Substitutions
- Art of good handwriting- Calligraphy
- One who believes the presence of God in everything in the universe. -Pantheist
- To walk aimlessly- Amble
- Callous— Indifferent
- Conjugal— Bridal
- Imbibe- To drink
- Spurious – False, Bogus
- Vindictive- Revengeful.
- Altruism- Selfishness
- Grandiose – Modest, Simple
- Harbinger— Follower
- Honorary- Salaried
- Laconic-Wordy, Verbose.
Allowance, Balloon, Commentary, Dehydration, Hierarchy, Hygiene, Magnificent, Souvenir, Refrigerator, Repetition, Parallel, Omission.
(v) Formations of new words by adding prefixes and suffixes:
- Be – Beset, Become, Bewitch, Belittle, Becalm, Behold
- Im-Impurity, Immorality, Immortal, Imperfect, Impatient
- Sion Invasion, Inclusion, Provision, Division.
- Tion–Generation, Association, Agitation, Appreciation
- A paragraph has mainly- three parts.
- The function of topic sentence is- to present main idea of the paragraph.
- An extra message added at the end of a letter after it is signed is called- postscript.